Thursday, June 17, 2010

How do you fast dry an oil painting? I try hair dryer but its still not working.Any chemical spray f

I have put them in the trunk of my car before when the vehicle was in the sun, and they dried faster, but I am not sure if that would be fast enough for you. Don't dry TOO fast or the paint underneath will still be unstable.



How do you fast dry an oil painting? I try hair dryer but its still not working.Any chemical spray for this?

Set it in the sun. I wouldn't use a hair dryer.



Normal drying time for an oil is 6-12 months.



If you want to speed the drying time of an oil, use Copal varnish in the turnpentine as thinner while painting. Never spray anything on an oil painting until it air dries for at least 12 months. The only thing you should spray on the painting would be varnish.



How do you fast dry an oil painting? I try hair dryer but its still not working.Any chemical spray for this?

Best answer I know of is to paint several works at once and to let them dry properly.



Of course, I am not a painter -- I just read a lot, but the stories I've read had painters working in oils with almost ten paintings going all at once!



How do you fast dry an oil painting? I try hair dryer but its still not working.Any chemical spray for this?

I know this won't help with this painting, but for future work use Alkyd paint, this paint is a fast drying oil and depending on how thick you apply the paint it should dry anywhere from overnight to a couple of days and be ready for varnish in a month. The only manufacturer of this paint that I know of is Winsor%26amp;Newton.



Sprays are no good, if the top of the paint dries too quickly and the paint underneath doesn't then your painting will crack.



Good Luck



How do you fast dry an oil painting? I try hair dryer but its still not working.Any chemical spray for this?

Sarah B is correct. Drying sprays on the surface only dry a thin skin. The underlying paint remains wet until it soaks into the gesso ground or congeals through chemical action. It will be subject to damage for at least 6 months. If you must have oil paints dry quickly [ not a good scenario for future permanence] try using a little TEREBINE mixed with your colours. Only a small amount is needed. It is not standard practice but it does work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
c++